Re: Opinions XFS

On 08/03/2007 09:44 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
[...]
I think there's a bit of Not Invented Here syndrome with XFS that causes people to be wary of it, but in my experience it's a rock-solid filesystem. However, it doesn't journal data, only metadata, so you may lose a bit of data if the system goes down uncleanly. The filesystem will be protected from corruption, however. (Ext3fs can also be configured this way, but its default is to journal data as well as metadata.)

Huh?

It was my understanding that, by default, ext3 only journals metadata. You have to use one of the "journal_data*" options specified in "man tune2fs" to get ext3 to journal data.