Adaptec 2100s & Debian stable

I remember a "waiting for root filesystem" when I was using a software RAID and my drivers didn't load.  I had to edit /etc/mkinitramfs/modules and make sure my "md" driver was added to the initrd image.

It is possible that you need some driver to load to access your RAID?  If you wait, say, 5 minutes are you dumped into a 'busybox' console? If you are dumped to busybox you have a very good chance of troubleshooting the system. This is what happened to me when I had problems with my software RAID.