Re: Bridged Network Question

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:45:43 -0400
Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:

> Douglas Allan Tutty(dtutty@porchlight.ca) is reported to have said:

> > I think I understand your setup, although I've never used wireless.  I
> > too am on dialup and at one point had a laptop that I connected with a
> > serial cable to a box that then connected to the box that had the modem.
>
> The AP laptop -is- connected to the gatway machine via Cat5 cable to
> the gateway.
>

> > I set up the access box with NAT at the time by simply installing ipmasq
> > and dnsmasq and setting forwarding.  All boxes could access the
> > internet.
> >
> > I never needed bridge and wonder why you're using it.
>
> Because I needed a way to connect the wireles laptops to the internet.
> The AP has the the wireless adapter and an ethernet adapter in it do
> does what you did with your laptop except it accepts wireless signals
> in/out.

The question is whether you can accomplish this without bridging.  I
think you can set up both the modem box and the laptop AP as routers.
Have the laptop / AP forward its wireless clients' packets to the
gateway / modem box, and have that box then forward them to the
internet (as you're doing now).

> Regards
> Wayne

Celejar