Re: lost Applications -> Debian in the menus ?

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 07:37:31PM +0200, Gerard Robin wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 11:35:24AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject:  Re: lost Applications -> Debian in the menus ?
>

>>> This might be a result of the menu transition[0] and maybe worth a
>>> report, if there isn???t already one.
>>
>>        I think this is by design; the GNOME folks seem to think that
>> the Debian menu is bloated, confusing, and duplicates the neat ,
>> functional, ergonomic Gnome menu, so the default is to hide the ugly
>> duckling.
>
> I agree with them, the menu Debian duplicates the general menu, but not
> entirely and now there are many tools missing. Anyway, I am putting them
> manually in the general menu ...

I agree that the Debian menu duplicates the general menu, but, with
the exception of GNOME specific tools, it usually has more stuff in it
than the GNOME menus. at least on my boxes. I like having the debian
menu as it means i get the same menu on any box regardless of the
window manager in use (well, assuming the WM has a menu...)