Re: Caps Lock don't work

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:12:26PM +0200, Salve H?kedal wrote:
> I run Etch on 3 machines, and have trouble with Caps Lock in the linux
> console. (In X it's ok.)
>
> machine[1a] Installed Woody in 2004, upgraded to Sarge and then Etch.
> 	Caps Lock works.
>
> machine[2]  Installed Sarge, later upgraded to Etch when stable.
> 	Caps Lock won't work. Gives a mix of upper and lower case.
>
> machine[3]  Installed Etch some months ago.
> 	Caps Lock won't work. Gives a mix of upper and lower case.
>
> machine[1b] Installed Etch some days ago fresh on another partition.
> 	Caps Lock won't work. Gives a mix of upper and lower case.
>

> My default locale is nn_NO.utf8, but I have tried switching to
> en_GB.utf8 or C with no better result.
>
> As the two installations on machine[1], behaves different, it seems to
> me that it must be a software issue?

I used the same problem on my i386 since I switched to Etch.  The caps
lock worked but but numbers were also shifted.  The only time I noticed
it was when typing Canadian postal codes (mine is K0K 3N0) which is easy
with caps lock but not with the shift.

I was about to say I _have_ the same problem but I guess its been a
while since I typed a postal code, testing just now I don't have that
problem.  The only change I've made is that I have changed local to C
and purged the locales package, and I've switched back from terminus
font and purged the console related packages (e.g. console-setup).

Based on this, you could test by purging the console- stuff if you're
using a regular legacy keyboard (as I am) but I don't know if its needed
for a USB one.

Doug.