Re: adduser

01-08-2007, Bob Proulx:
> Oleg Verych wrote:
>> Ids may change and i will end up with /var/spool/exim4 owned by
>> different user in case /etc/passwd is new.
>
> I don't think that should be a concern because if the ownership of
> /var/spool/exim4 needs to be non-root then it should be set in the
> postinst script.  That would be true upon the first installation too,
> right?

If my local installation/configuratin chain is like:

1. install all need packages
2. do local changes

then if i do change `/var/' to my old (backup) one on separate
partition, `/etc/passwd' may have wrong owner. But this can be fixed,
if i will re-add appropriate user myself. I would like to supply my
installation options to packages i need, but like you've said, more
flexible and easy installation process will be a big step forward.

Anyway to pull and then update adduser, that is suppose to be run only
once, is a very bad thing. In case of removal, twice. But hey, there is
lightweight userdel from passwd, adduser is wrapping!

I've published my aggressive janitor BTW, in case somebody is interested.
DDs are certainly not.

<http://mid.gmane.org/slrnfatdd1.anq.for.gmane@flower.upol.cz>
____