USB/udev/hal - something changed?

I used to be able to mount USB devices without any problem as long as I
was part of the plugdev group. No need for fstab entries or anything
else. Now I'm getting messages from gnome-volume-manager saying that I
don't have sufficient privileges to mount the volume. I'm not sure
exactly when this started, as I don't use USB volumes all that
frequently. I can see the device using udevinfo and I can mount it as
root manually, but why won't volume-manager work anymore?

--Todd