Re: syslog help

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:54:23PM -0400, Tony Heal wrote:
> I am trying to move my postgresql (v7.4) logging out of the syslog and
> into a postgres.log. I want to do this so I can turn on logging full
> bore and have logrotate keep the logs to a reasonable size.
>

> Here is my problem. Postgresql v7.4 will either log to STDOUT, syslog
> or none. I have been looking at syslog.conf and trying to set this up
> and I have what looks good, but I still get the entries in the syslog.
> Here is what I have for syslog.conf
>
> Local0.*     /var/log/postgresql/postgres.log
>
> I also tries this with cron and that did not work either. Is this even
> possible? Can I redirect entries out of the syslog into another file,
> or does this facility only copy the entries to another file, while
> maintaining them in the syslog.

My /etc/syslog.conf has the following line:

*.*;auth,authpriv.none 		-/var/log/syslog

The *.* means that _everything_ logged to the syslogger goes into
/var/log/syslog.

man syslog.conf tells us that with one line where terms are separated by
';', latter terms override earlier terms.  Assuming that your Local0.*
gives you the log you want, you should be able to append ';Local0.none'
to the *.* line to exclude them from /var/log/syslog.

Doug.