Re: A question of fonts

On Mon July 30 2007 13:40, andy wrote:
> Alan Ianson wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >
> > If you type env in a term what is lang= set to? You can adjust that
> > setting by running "dpkg-reconfigure locales".
> >
> > I think etch uses utf-8 by default. A better solution would be if
> > packages were utf-8 capable. It may be that xmms and iceweasel are not
> > utf-8 aware but my knowledge if this stuff is sketcky at best.
>
> Hi Alan
>
> Thanks for the tips. I followed your suggestion and got, in part, this
> as a result of env
>
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> GDM_LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
>
> How do I use this info to overcome what is really a lousy text display
> in something like Xmms, and some other apps I've tried?

I don't think you can. I've been using xmms for years so the interface is just
what I expect it to be, the same as it has always been.

The problem I have had with utf-8 is in apps like mp3blaster (a console
mp3/ogg player). When I use utf-8 the borders are either not drawn at all or
not drawn correctly. I haven't tried it recently, maybe it would work OK now
but I suspect not. I should investigate it a bit more perhaps.