Re: A question of fonts

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 21:45:07 +0100, andy wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

>> This could also be a problem with your settings for font display rather
>> than with the fonts themselves.

[...]

>> Maybe you can post your font settings and we can have a look:
>>
>> awk '/fontconfig/,/^$/' /var/cache/debconf/config.dat
>>
>> xrdb -query | grep Xft
>>

> Florian
>
> Thanks for the image - a picture is worth ... and all that jazz. Certainly,
> my font display is more like the image on the left.

To produce the ugly image I turned off all hinting and anitaliasing. I
also enabled bitmap fonts which are normally disabled on my system. I
normally use Bitstream Vera Sans or Deja Vu Sans as the user interface
font.

> Name: fontconfig/enable_bitmaps
> Value: false

I think this is the correct choice.

> Name: fontconfig/hinting_type
> Value: Autohinter

Maybe you should try "Native" here. You can change these settings with
"dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config". (There will be a dialog with
multiple choices.) I think you have to restart X to see the effect of a
changed setting.

> Name: fontconfig/subpixel_rendering
> Value: Always

That should be OK for LCD displays. If all else fails you could try
"Never" or "Automatic".

> And in response to xrdb -query:
>
> Xft.antialias:  1
> Xft.dpi:        120.000000
> Xft.hinting:    1
> Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
> Xft.rgba:       none

Strange, those are exactly the Xft seetings which I used for the nice
half of the picture. (Except for Xft.dpi, but that depends on the
display of course.) If you get jagged fonts in this configuration, then
maybe these settings are ignored for some reason. I know that some DEs
can override these settings under certain conditions. Which DE or WM are
you using and how do you start X? Also, if the file ".fonts.conf" exists
in your home directory, can you post its contents?

          Florian   |