Re: Compile Question

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 01:49:30PM -0600, Telly Williams wrote:
> The past day or so I've been learning to compile different programs.  It's now something that seems very easy, which I thought was very hard prior to this.
>
> I wanted to know if some of you find it better to compile your programs or just apt-get install them?  I've been thinking about just compiling from now on since
> it gives me more options.  Thanks.

I'm entirely .debs except for gscpa (crappy webcam) modules built with
module-assistant and kqemu built from source, but only cause i haven't
bothered to install the deb yet. Once in a while if I'm hacking on
gnucash I'll build that from upstream source.

If you really want to compile everything and are doing this for fun
look at LFS (linux from scratch) or gentoo...