Re: new Etch install fails to boot

[I wrote that my fresh Etch install calls grub and then stops.]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:56:04 +0530, bhasker@unixindia.com replied:
> Sometimes older bios has a virus protection enabled in the bios itself.
> This does not allow anything to be written to the MBR to protect MBR
> viruses. ...  Can you check your bios once again and try disabling the
> virus protection (re-enable it later once things are working)
> and re-install the grub and check ?

Thanks for a good suggestion.  However, my BIOS already has "Virus Warning"
set to "Disabled".  This feature is described as follows:

 "Allows you to choose the VIRUS warning feature for IDE Hard Disk boot
  sector protection.  If this function is enabled and someone attempts to
  write data into this area, BIOS will show a warning message on screen and
  alarm beep."

Since this is already set to "Disabled", and since I didn't see a warning
message, I'm not sure that this can account for the problem.