Re: Lost /home partition

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 30/07/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:05:38AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
In a Debian-based distro (Ubuntu) I have had a corruption of my /home
partition, which resides on sda4 of my Dell Inspiron laptop. Not
knowing what to do, and with no way to boot and google the situation,
I played Y, Y, Y to all fsck's questions. Now, /home is empty. I do
have a backup from 4 weeks ago, as I backup the first of every month,
but I have done quite a bit of work this past month. I'm very
interested in recovering the data.

A corrupted /home should not keep you from booting.  You may need to go
single-user or init=/bin/sh but it should boot.

Probably should have backed up more recently.  It sounds like you made
things worse with the YYY.

Good luck.

Doug.

Maybe something additional was corrupted, bu I only remember seeing
references to sda4, which is /home. Any idea how to get the data back?

Dotan Cohen

Hi Dotan,

So, when you boot up and get a prompt, I take it that /home is indeed
being mounted?  If so, one thing you might want to do, is look in
/home/lost+found , in there you might be able to find your files, but they
won't be named the same though.  If they are there, they will be named
numerically..

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.