Re: lenny: getting non-free nvidia drivers issue

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 05:23:26PM -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
On Sat July 28 2007 15:45, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

Difficulty with nvidia is the main reason that I'm sticking with Etch.
Are you running an amd64 there? I have had no trouble on the amd64 with the nvidia drivers. There a couple issues that I know of for the i386 but amd64 has been painless.. :)

Yes I'm running amd64.  However, since I'm on slow dialup and the amd64
box is the only one with a CD burner and lots of drive space, it would
be a major headache to have something happen that caused stuff to not
work.

But what could happen if you tried it on a duplicate partition? So it doesn't work. You go back to the working partition.

My other boxes are a 486 and a PII and etch stuff needs so much
memory that using them to 'rescue' the amd64 is painful.  I've tried it
as part of verifying my backup strategy but its difficult.
So, in effect, my Athlon box for me is mission-critical and I'll stick
with stable now that its etch.