Re: IM on a home debian network

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 09:59:05PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 07/28/07 21:52, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > Instant messaging on a home network?  Try a low-tech holler:
> > 	"SOOOOEEE!  TURN ON THE MODEM!"
>
> What ever happened to diald?

Its an external Courier.  I meant push the button to turn it on.  It was
only a humourous comment; my wife would kill me if I addressed her as
SOOOOEE like I was calling in a cow; my wife wouldn't know what a modem
looks like.

To get the modem to connect, I ssh to that box and type:
	$pon courier
	$bwm-ng

and leave this VC 1 open.  VC 2 is ssh'd to the box and either mutt or
	$watch -n 20 "from -c"

VC 3 is for net-related curses stuff (currently a wget session).
VC 4 is where I type startx when I need to.

There was a time when I had Ctrl-Alt-UP set in inittab to open a new vt.

Doug.