Re: dumb question about aAdobe Acrobat....

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 11:39:18PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:57:11 -0500
> John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hello John,
>
> > Do you actually _need_ acroread?  Xpdf isn't good enough?
>
> IIRC, Xpdf doesn't have the ability to do form filling.  With acroread,
> you can fill out forms (they have to be set up to allow it, of course),
> and then print them, already filled in.  Obviously, you can't save the
> filled out form.
>
> With my cruddy handwriting, I need all the help I can get.   :-)

Sounds like a crazy propriatary scheme.  Whatever happened to sending
out the Latex of a document.  Recipients can latex it to view it, make
changes, get it right, then email the latex back.

As for printing but not saving an altered pdf, can't you print to file
(or get your print spooler to do it) so that you have a ps of the pdf?
Burst the ps pages apart, turn them into eps, encorporate them into your
latex document and away you go.

Adobe just had to reinvent their own wheel, convince everyone else that
it was the only wheel around (so to speak) and make life difficult for
us.

Doug.