Re: dumb question about aAdobe Acrobat....

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 05:45:24PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> I tried installing Adobe Acrobat from a tarball and it doesn't seem to
> work. It was a while ago now so I have forgotten exactly what I did and
>  didn't do.
>
> It seems a bit complex because it tries to put it in Iceweasel as plugin or
> something and also as a stand alone program at the same time or
> something.......
>
> I don't remember it being as complex as this in the past.
>
> At a very dumb level is there an acrobat deb file somewhere that would be
> easy to install somewhere in the non free repository....?

Hi Michael,

I see you've had quite a discussion already.

What is it about brand-name Acroread that you need?  I've never used it;
I use xpdf.  If I have any KDE apps installed, I'll use Kpdf.  I don't
like gnome apps so don't use evince.

Yes amd64 has a couple of things that don't work because the
closed-source apps aren't compiled for amd64.  I have a chroot for a
browser with adobe flash player.

The instructions in the amd64 howto/faq for setting up a chroot worked
reasonably well.  I installed schroot so that now its simple to make a
button for icewm that will run the browser in its chroot.

Once you have an ia32 chroot, you can put anything you like into it.

Good luck,

Doug.