Re: Compile Question

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:49:30 -0600
Telly Williams <twilliams001@elp.rr.com> wrote:

Hello Telly,

> I wanted to know if some of you find it better to compile your
> programs or just apt-get install them?  I've been thinking about just

A mixture of both.  The bulk of software here is installed from .deb
packages, using $preferredpackagemanager.  There are half a dozen or so
programs that I prefer to compile myself because the .debs are a bit
too far out of date, or use compile-time options that don't suit my
needs, or even that I need to patch myself.

> compiling from now on since it gives me more options.  Thanks.

You'll give yourself a big headache;  Doing system upgrades purely from
source is time-consuming, to say the least.

--
 Regards  _

You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive
Give You Nothing - Bad Religion