CUPS: unable to configure printer

Hello,

I tried to setup my HP PSC 1315 printer today on my Debian Etch running CUPS 1.2.12. So I used hp-setup to configure my printer and it was all right, but when I tried to configure its parameters at the CUPS admin page, it asked for a user/password, and I used my root username/password but it didn't work for my surprise. After searching and reading several topics regarding this issue, I tried to use as root lppasswd -x root to reset the password but I had this problem:

lppasswd: Unable to open password file: Permission denied.

So I tried several solutions that other people tried but none worked for me such as adding root to lpadmin group and adding cupsys to the shadow group, restarting cupsd, rebooting... and so on. Please could someone help me, this problem is killing me!

Regards,
Thomas Beresford