Re: Stability issues

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 04:07:59PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> if you are only installing the tasksel selections and not adding
> additional software, then there is no reason to do this. I just know
> that if I had to reinstall my current machine, I'd want to pull a list
> of what was installed as I've got a couple years of built-up stuff on
> here and wouldn't want to hassle with trying to remember it all.

I use aptitude which keeps track of packages that I requested for
install vs those installed to meet dependancies.  In my backups, I keep
both the dpkg --get-selections but also aptitude search '~i!~M' which
gives me the names of packages that are installed (~i) that are not (!)
automatically installed (~M).

Doug.