Re: samba, cups and windows client

On 7/25/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 12:08:00PM -0400, Nguyen, Cuong K. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just set up a printer server on my Debian box using cups and samba

I'm not really up on these things, but I was under the impression that
you could bypass samba altogether now for printing and just use
ipp://address/of/printer for printing from winXP. You need the printer
drivers on windows I think, but otherwise should just work... but
that's from memory...

Hi Andrew,

Nope, I do not use ipp. I use normail Add printer wizard, and find it from browsing the network and add it (says \\server\S2500). When being asked for driver, I locate to where the Windows driver is (actually it ks a  Dell S2500 and the driver library of Windows has it already) and setup it. I do not know where those "ipp" errors come from, and do not know how to fix it either :).

Another thing: when setup printer in Ubuntu client, I use Add printer wizard also, and it works just fine but still gives the ipp error :(. So I guess this should be my configuration issue, something is wrong here.

KC.

hth