Re: [OT] Interview with Con Kolivas on Linux failures

On Jul 24, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Kent West wrote:
It'd be nice if a coder of Con's caliber were to get interested in the HURD. I think that project has a lot of potential, but I'm afeared it has little future without some motivated developers.

HURD kind of suffers from being late to the party. It would have to offer something really new and exciting to pull people away from Linux and BSD, I think.

To me it always smacked a little of "me-too-ism", too ... the GNU folks felt Linux wasn't GNU-ish enough, so they had to go write their own kernel. I'm sure the wars with Linus over the new GPL version will only intensify that desire, because now they can point to Linux and say it's not "pure" license-wise.