pam_limits and nice value: does it work?

Hey all,
we want to make all programs from remote users run by a nice value.
I have made pam_limits have its own configuration file for /etc/pam.d/ ssh, where everybody is assigned a nice value of 10 (for both hard and soft) I am not sure if this actually works, since top still shows a nice value of 0 for those processes launched by a user logged in via ssh. All other pam_limit directives (maxlogins at al.) do work when setting them. Does top simply not show the correct value, or does 'nice' not work for pam_limits?
Debian is etch.
Thanks,
udo.
--
---[ Institute of Cognitive Science @ University of Osnabrueck
---[ Albrechtstrasse 28, D-49076 Osnabrueck, 969-3362