Re: CPU Speed

You might try to look at a better CPU like K6-II/450, K6-III or somesuch.
Second-hand dump stores might have the processors in stock, if not solo,
then probably even with a motherboard.

Socket 7 motherboards used to have L2 cache on themselves (unlike P-IIs
which had everything - L1 cache, L2 cache - in the processor cartridge).
512K is a rather decent amount, though the only way a K6-II could even
compete with a slower P-II was with a motherboard that had 1 MB of L2 cache
(there was the Soyo Dragon way back in the days, but many of them were
defective due to the unreliability of the L2 cache memory chip,
ironically).

Here's the Wikipedia article on K6-III:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_K6-III

On 22.07.2007 at 11:33 Telly Williams wrote:

>> > I get:
>> >
>> >         # dmidecode 2.8
>> >         # No SMBIOS nor DMI entry point found, sorry
>> >

>> Dunno.  Have to wait for a wizard to come along.  Are you starting a
>> computer museum?  What model is that ThinkPad?
>>
>> It's ten years old, isn't it?
>
>(Laughs)
>
>No,
>
>	It's not the TP.  The TP is OK and, in fact, runs great.  I'll probably
>use it as a firewall.  Those stats were from the Hewlett Packard Pavilion
>6360
>(stock).
>
>	I saw this computer sitting in my friend's mom's house and asked to fix
>it for her (it didn't run at
>all).  I didn't anticipate the problems that I would face, mostly because
>I didn't know then what I now know about CPU specs (and what's good/bad)
>and the RAM.
>Thanks to everyone for their help.  Now I'll be able to give my friend's
>mom a better explanation of 'why' rather than 'here is what you get for
>some reason'.
>The worst part about it is that I doubled the RAM, added an ethernet card,
>and included a new Sony DVD-R.
>
>VR
>
>TW
>

>--
listmaster@lists.debian.org

     Not far from here, by a white sun, behind a green star, lived the
Steelypips, illustrious, industrious, and they hadn't a care: no spats
in their vats, no rules, no schools, no gloom, no evil influence of the
moon, no trouble from matter or antimatter -- for they had a
machine, a dream of a machine, with springs and gears and perfect
in every respect. And they lived with it, and on it, and under it, and
inside it, for it was all they had -- first they saved up all their atoms,
then they put them all together, and if one didn't fit, why they
chipped at it a bit, and everything was just fine...

-- Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"