Read messages and contacts from mobile phone (was: Mobile phone management utility)

Last year I posted that.  All I found was that maybe opensync was the best tool
(all others failed in my experience) but I found it tremendously difficult to
install and configure it with Sarge, without knowing if it would then really
work or not.  A year after: can anybody say a definite word upon this matter,
someone who really managed to see its mobile phone through Debian?

Thanks,
Rodolfo