Re: OCR questions

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 07:54:40PM -0500, Nelson Castillo wrote:
> On 7/21/07, Wayne Topa <linuxone@intergate.com> wrote:
>> Nelson Castillo(nelsoneci@gmail.com) is reported to have said:

>> > Yes, it's old. I installed from sources but I don't get the charsets.
>> >
>> > tesseract test.tiff out
>> > Unable to load unicharset file /usr/local/share/tessdata/eng.unicharset
>> >
>> > How do I get them?
>>
>> 1.  apt-cache search tesseract-ocr
>> tesseract-ocr - Command line OCR tool
>> tesseract-ocr-data - Command line OCR tool data
>>
>> 2.  aptitude install tesseract-ocr tesseract-ocr-data
>>
>> 3.  less /usr/share/doc/tesseract-ocr/README
>>
>> This in in testing.  YMMV if your running etch.
>
> Hi.
>
> I run sid. I wanted the latest version. The Debian installation is OK.

The latest upstream or latest Debian?

> But it's old.

Well, not too old but not new either.

> Now I just noticed that the language files are not installed by default.

With old apt-get, maybe yes.  But I heard apt-get is chang behavior like
aptitude soon or already. (I may be wrong here)

> I just found this:
>
>  To be completely language independent, there is *no* language
>  data with the source, so you have to download a separate language
>  file to get it to work at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/tesseract-ocr/browse_thread/thread/2b11730eae611b40/2a780e0d6227cb02#2a780e0d6227cb02

That is for source install.

If you install as stated above with aptitude, tesseract-ocr-data is
automatically installed unless you change default behavior of aptitude.

FTBFS is just package issue.  This package should work.  Otherwise,
please file bug report.

Osamu