Re: Filling /var

On Sat July 21 2007 12:16, John K Masters wrote:
> Just had a bit of a wake-up call. Am running SID on my laptop and
> getting several updates per day. Today after updating the update process
> did not end properly as the /var partition had filled to 100%. In fact
> this totally stuffed my whole setup.
>
> Using GParted from a LiveCD I gave /var some more space and managed to
> get things back to normal.
>
> Running apt-get autoclean freed up 1.2GB of space! I've now put this
> into anachrontab to run every 4 days. This is the first time I've run
> unstable and didn't appreciate the huge amount of upgrades that
> happened.
>
> Hope this might help someone else avoid the hassle I have just had.

There is an option in aptitude to remove obsolete package files after
downloading new lists that helps to keep things from getting stuffed up like
that.

Lots of stuff comes and goes in unstable so there is lots of updating to do. I
prefer testing myself, seem to get the best of the new stuff there without so
much downloading.

I symlink my /var/cache/apt/archives to a drive with lots of free space
too.. ;)