Filling /var

Just had a bit of a wake-up call. Am running SID on my laptop and
getting several updates per day. Today after updating the update process
did not end properly as the /var partition had filled to 100%. In fact
this totally stuffed my whole setup.

Using GParted from a LiveCD I gave /var some more space and managed to
get things back to normal.

Running apt-get autoclean freed up 1.2GB of space! I've now put this
into anachrontab to run every 4 days. This is the first time I've run
unstable and didn't appreciate the huge amount of upgrades that
happened.

Hope this might help someone else avoid the hassle I have just had.

Regards, John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)