Re: can't get the login window to appear after leaving machine...

From: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: can't get the login window to appear after leaving machine...
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:52:52 +0300

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 11:27:32AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debianists,
>
> I am running ADM64 Debian Etch 4.0 r(0) on a AMD 3200 box. Everything is
> OK, except that on several occasions I have noticed that if I leave the
> machine for a good while until the screen goes dead and then tap on the
> mouse several times or tap on the keyboard or both repeatedly I can't get
> the machine to respond at all.

When you leave the machine are you running X or just console? Look at
the powersaving options for X or console.

Hmmm..... Are you suggesting I do ps -aux and see what is running (X) by default? I am using a standard workstation installation with Gnome and Xorg. Excuse my ignorance but that do you mean by the console here...

Another problem I have is that the shutdown doesn't work in Gnome, you have to be root on a terminal window and then type halt to kill everything...

Could this be related?

M.

Regards,
Andrei