Re: [Fwd: dh_gencontrol error]

Tom Ashley wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Manual-Howto

Wow.  That definitely describes a lot of work that I believe is no
longer needed.  I did not need to do any of that when installing Etch
on my laptop with the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG.  It worked for me
using the proceedure that I described.

I applaud the original author for doing that large body of howto and
making it available.  But I think that page was written during the
Sarge days and simply needs to be updated for the current Etch.  If no
one beats me to it I will have a go at it later.  It looks like there
are two copies to update.

As I understand it the ipw2200 driver is included in the mainstream
Linux kernel sources and is now released with Debian Etch.  The only
missing part is the non-free firmware blob.  It is non-free and
therefore cannot be part of Debian.  I wish I did not need to use it.
I have heard that the situation with that is changing.  So perhaps
there is hope that in the future these will all be free again and be
able to "just work" out of the box.

Thanks for pointing out that wiki entry for update.

Bob