printing troubles

>From my gateway/firewall box I can print a CUPS test page to my networked HP
printer (connected behind a wireless router) when shorewall isn't running, but
nothing else. When shorewall is running I get the following message from CUPS:
"Network host '192.168.1.49' is busy; will retry in 5 seconds..."

I appear to have two problems:
1.  I can only print a CUPS test page when shorewall isn't running, but nothing
else.
2.  I can't access the printer from the shorewall box when shorewall is running.

I use my shorewall box (Debian stable) to dial out. It is connected via ethernet
cable to a wireless router. There is a HP PhotoSmart C6180 connected to the
router via wireless. I have a laptop (Debian unstable) connected to the wireless
router that can print using the Device URI: socket://192.168.1.49. This is the
same configuration I have for the printer on my shorewall box.

I can ping the printer whether shorewall is running or not.

Connections (ping, ssh, http) between the laptop and the shorewall box work fine
in both directions.

I tried printing from xpdf with lp:
lp: Error - scheduler not responding!

Also tried, $ lp -d Photosmart major_surplus.ps
lp: Connection refused

The cups error log is empty.

I tried using this printer in OpenOffice.org. Using spadmin I chose the "HP
PhotoSmart C6100" print driver and entered the command "lp -d Photosmart". I
just get the response "Error while printing" when I try to print a file.

Gary Parker
--
"My mind is my own church."
               Thomas Paine