Re: libraries in debian BROKEN by working with Adobe SVG

On Jul 20, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 11:23:50AM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

On Jul 20, 2007, at 11:19 AM, stuseven wrote:

well... since I dont have internet on my linux, I have
always considered it safe to run as root... this is a
first possible example of why that could be dangerous.

As lessons go, this is a fairly cheap one.  My introduction to why I
shouldn't be running as root happened when I accidentally did 'rm - rf /usr'
on one of my first Linux systems.

I once did rm -rf /etc /cups instead of rm -rf /etc/cups.

man that was ugly.

I now always double check and hesitate nervously before pressing
enter...

rm is like a table saw. rm with the "-f" switch is like a table saw with the blade guard removed. Sometimes you have to use it that way, but you'd better be extra-careful or you'll cut your fingers off. :)