Re: GRUB2 and Windows

On 7/19/07, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>       I took a leap of faith (or folly, yet to be seen) and installed
> grub2.  I did this in an attempt to move from Lilo to Grub (as I prefer
> grub).  However, I didn't realize that Grub2 is vastly different!  It
> seems to be installed correctly as I have a grub.cfg file that looks
> correct for booting all of my Linux kernel images.  What I don't have
> though is an entry for WindowsXP.  How do I add this entry?  Can grub
> find it automatically?

I don't what's the current status, but I know that grub2's support for
booting things like Windows was somewhere between lacking and partly working
at some point in the past (a year maybe?).

        Stefan

Well, I'm using debian unstable, and with the latest version of grub2
I can boot windows XP.  However, it's not automatically.  Apparently
there's a bug in grub itself which doesn't allow setting a global root
directory, and then try to set a different one in the menu entry.
Nice thing is that on unstable the menus are generated by scripts in
/etc/grub.d.

So 1st thing is to comment the following lines out, as shown bellow:

#if [ "x${GRUB_DRIVE}" = "x" ] ; then : ; else
#  echo "set root=${GRUB_DRIVE}"
#fi

From /etc/grub.d/00_header.  The 2nd thing is to add a script for the
windows XP, which is not included by default, I named it
/etc/grub.d/10_windows.  The scripts are looked up by alphanumeric
order I believe.

I'm attaching both files for your consideration.  I don't know if a
bug needs to be filed, because I don't really know if grub needs to be
fixed for the root thing, or if it's just debian script which is
wrong.  At any rate I found the work around I needed...

I hope this helps...

--
Javier