Re: raid 1

also sprach Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> [2007.07.19.0126 +0200]:
> > is it true that with software raid 1 that i cannot have the boot drive
> > protected?
>
> no. raid 1 boots just fine. I do it on my server at home with a raid1
> /boot partition and a raid5 / partition.

that's not true yet. grub2 supposedly supports RAID booting, but
grub1 actually boots off one of the raid1 disks, not the raid1
itself. Since booting is read-only, though, this is not a problem,
but does require you to make sure your BIOS and grub configuration
can and do fall back to the second component if the first fails. Not
trivial.

>   and during the rebuild process, can the
> > rebuild be throttled such that the system remains usable while the rebuild
> > occurs?
>
> not sure. try man mdadm.

Yes, it can. /sys/block/md0/md/sync_speed_max .

apt-get source --compile gentoo