Re: Problem after sata port went down

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 12:42:07PM +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:51, you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:48, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > > The sata port on my MB went down and I had to run fsck on the hard-drive.
> > > I guess the /var directory was mangled. As a result, I cannot install,
> > > remove, upgrade any package. I get the following error ,essage fro, dpkg:
> > > dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `hpijs' missing,
> > > assuming package has no files currently installed.

[ many similar dpkg errors ]

> > > dpkg: error
> > > processing /var/cache/apt/archives/php5-mysql_5.2.0-8+etch7_amd64.deb
> > > (--unpack):
> > >  unable to open files list file for package `fontconfig-config': No such
> > > device or address
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > >  /var/cache/apt/archives/php5-mysql_5.2.0-8+etch7_amd64.deb
> > > Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
> > > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > Oupss...
> > I must add: I tried all --force things I found in man dpkg

what exactly did you try here? I would try using dpkg directly to
manually install the debs that appear damaged.

Also, do you have a backup of /var to use?

hmmm... a little digging turns up this...

there are <package_name>.list files in /var/lib/dpkg/info for each
installed package. Maybe you could check on the status of those .list
files for each damaged package and possibly you could either extract
them from the deb or get a copy from someone.