Re: Installing Testing onto an Intel DG965WH-board Machine

On Sunday 15 July 2007 03:53, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am having some difficulties installing Debian onto my new machine. The
> hardware is: 1)CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.40 GHz, L2 Cache 4096 kB
> 2)Board: Intel Desktop Board DG965WH
> 3)DVD Recorder: ASUS Lightscribe Drive DRW-1814BL
> and some other more or less standard equipment.
>
> The problem is that the installation CDs start the installation but then do
> not recognize the DVD drive (I have used jigdo for Testing CD #1), even
> after BIOS updates.
>

> I think the problem is that a relatively recent loadable kernel module is
> required, because Kubuntu is able to start and recognizes all my hardware.
> I therefore did an "lsmod" for both CDs, and found a list of modules that
> are loaded in the working Kubuntu installation CD and are absent in the
> Debian installation that doesnt work.
>
> I have not been able to find a good description of the various modules, but
> I would assume that it is ata_generic and or pata_marvell from the sound of

You can force generic ide until you get a newer kernel installed.

> it. (See complete list below). My question is, how do I prepare these
> modules to use them for the Debian install CD? Do I need to compile an
> entire new kernel version or is there a better way?
>
> Thanks, Peter

I managed to install using one of the testing daily builds. I believe if you
hit F3 or F4 at the boot prompt there will be an example of how to force
ide-generic or something like that (I don't have my CD handy.)

While slow, it worked well enough to get Lenny installed. I was then able to
install the 2.6.21 that was then in unstable. You may be able to get Etch
installed the same way.

Regards,

Anson

--
ACHTUNG!  ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!
Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben.