dialup modem connection

I decided to give up high speed internet, because it's a waste of money
and time.  So, now I have dial-up.  The last time I had dial-up was
when I used Corel Linux, and I had no problem setting that up.  Now,
however, I can't seem to get wvdial, or its frontend, gnome-ppp, to
work (aren't things supposed to get easier as time goes by?).

I tried kppp, and did get it to connect, but only when run as root.  I
read kppp's help, and it said a bunch of stuff about "noauth" and
"dip"; so, my regular user is a member of both dialout and dip, and
I uncommented "noauth" in the kppp-options file (as instructed).  I
still can only connect via the root user.

Trying to run kppp as regular user:

mark@debian:~$ kppp
bash: /usr/bin/kppp: Permission denied

-rwsr-xr--, file owner root, file group dip.

Trying to run wvdial:

--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.
--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.

It correctly pointed to /usr/sbin/pppd, which had the same permissions
as the kppp file above, that being:

-rwsr-xr--, file owner root, file group dip.

Should file group dip be given write access?

All suggestions appreciated,

Mark

PS, switching back to dialup, just to hear that good ol' modem sound
again, is worth it.