Re: URGENT: my gnome desktop is dead

On Monday 16 July 2007 12:09:05 Dot Deb wrote:
> 	This morning I switched my laptop on, as usual, but after logging
> 	in (using gdm), gnome only shows me the tomboy window. No
> 	panels, no background, no icons ...
>
> 	Yesterday I regularly switched off the laptop. I did not upgrade
> 	the system recently (I'm running sid).
>
> 	I have no idea on where to start debugging the problem.
>
> 	I need your help because today I really need to work and I do
> 	not want to loose my job for that F... gnome.
>
> 	By the way what is a stable functional alternative to gnome,
> 	excluding kde?
>
> 	Thanx
> 	a.

Unfortunately, it is well known that gnome is not stable in Sid.  The reason
seems to stem from the maintainer who uploads the packages.  For some reason,
there is a delay between packages, and gnome needs all of them because of
dependencies, therefore, gnome breaks.  This happens with KDE, but only on a
short term basis.

There are plenty of other window managers available that may suit your needs.
XFCE is a good alternative if you're not thrilled with KDE.  For lighter
solutions, one can turn to fluxbox or iceWM.

Best of luck with your departure from Gnome.

Joe