concatenate flac files? convert to mp4?

hi,

im in hte middle of a long trip with my kids and have filled my ipod
with all kinds of things, including over a thousand mp3's from
ripped-down harry potter cd's.  unfortunately my ipod doesn't know
that these files are 'audiobook' file, and so when i put the ipod on
shuffle, about one in 5 tracks is a harry potter track.  this is
annoying.  fortunately i also have all our music & audiobooks on a
backup drive in flac format, and was thinking i could perhaps
concatenate all the files from each harry potter book into one immense
flac (or maybe 23 -- that's the number of cds' in 'order of the
phoenix'!), then convert each of these megafiles into aac & rename
them as m4b files -- which, if i understand correctly, is all i have
to do to get the stupid ipod to know that they're 'audiobooks'.

unfortunately i can't find the tool that would let me do this --
surely it exists?  is the easiest thing to somehow directly