Re: Pseudo terminals missing

On 07/15/2007 01:13 AM, Saul Mena Avila wrote:
> Hello, Douglas. I ran "ps -C getty" but there weren't processes listed.
> Also, I run a "locate getty" and "which getty" (as root and user as
> well) but there weren't results either... although, the comands for the
> stty's are present in /etc/inittab as you mentioned.
> Some time ago I tweaked the package system trying to install a version
> of a package in the testing repository... I don't remember which one...
> . Maybe I didn't notice and that's when the problem started.
>
> About which vt I am using... I supposed etch default one.
>
> Also X is started automatically by GDM and I don't know how to get out
> of X (except for swtching to pseudoterminals... which aren't there)

Hi Saul,  maybe you're missing the util-linux package?  On my etch box:
 ~$ locate getty
/sbin/getty
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/README.getty.gz
/usr/share/doc/util-linux/README.modems-with-getty.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/getty.8.gz

To stop gdm and keep it from restarting in that session, open a terminal
window, then sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop  which should bring you back to
the main console after exiting X and closing gdm.

Perhaps dpkg --audit could help determine what's wrong.  I'm no expert,
but these steps won't cause any harm either.

Good luck,
Ralph Katz