no network/eth0 with etch

Hello Debian Users,

Does Etch (i386/i486) with the (standard) 2.6.18 kernel have a problem recognizing (some) network cards?

I have a problem ever since apt-get dist-upgrade from Sarge to Etch. Etch with the standard 2.6.18 kernel does not find/recognize my network cards. Sarge (3.1) did and ran fine, Etch does not, and I even bought a new network card (which has a different chip) and it still does not. Not even the Debian installer from the CD1 ISO auto-detects the cards, or accepts my manual selection.

I have NetGear FA311 adapters - the older one has the National Semiconductor chip (DP83816AVNG) which worked fine with Sarge (2.6.8 kernel) and the newer one has the Realtek RTL8139D chip.

Oh, what is sit0? When I give >> ifconfig -a I get the loopback and sit0 interfaces(?).

All advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Robert

http://newlivehotmail.com