Re: revert to Etch from Lenny/Sid

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 9:03 am, kedmond wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I am using a Thinkpad X21 laptop with 384 MB of RAM and a new 40
> gig disk.  I installed Debian 4.0 (Etch) via the floppy disk install.
> Installation wa actually really pleasant, especially over the fast
> network connection.  With some work, I got my PCMCIA wifi card to
> work.  Ever since then, my laptop's been stable like a rock, and I had
> no
> complaints.  It would effortlessly connect to my wifi network and
> "just work."
>
>     Anyways, the other night I tried to use "apt-get install" to get
> Pidgin.  However, it said I needed a long list of libraries that I
> didn't have.  I didn't know that I could install just those developer
> packages, and instead added "sid" or "unstable" to my sources.list.  I
> ran "apt-get install -f" or something like it, and then Debian
> basically changed itself to Lenny/Sid.  Now the computer boots to
> command line, instead of automatically going to gnome like it used
> to.  And the wifi card (DWL-650g) is no longer automatically
> recognized and it can't connect to my wifi network.  And I have to
> reset my router to properly connect via ethernet cable.  So this has
> all been very frustrating.
>
>     I just want to know how to make Debian like it was before, with
> Etch.  Thanks.
>
> -kedmond

Accidentaly upgrading from stable to sid? Oops. Unfortunantly, upgrading
Debian is much easier than downgrading. But, it can be done...

Two options:
 1. backup your data and reinstall
 2. try apt-get pinning. the process is to
   a. update your /etc/apt/sources.list to stable
   b. remove most of your installed applications
   c. set an apt-preferance to prefer packages marked 'stable'
   d. run apt-get -s, and allow it to run
   e. cross your fingers

More on downgrading here:
http://matthewpoer.freehostia.com/wordpress/2006/11/01/abandon-ship-give-me-back-my-dapper-drake/