Re: Linux on a Router

ArcticFox wrote:
On Jul 10, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 11:20:09PM -0500, ArcticFox wrote:

The problem with DD-WRT is that as far as I can tell it only works on
WRT-routers, I don't have one of those I can mess with. As far as I can
tell, there isn't a Linux dest that will run on the router I do have.

That's not quite right, it runs on quite a wide variety of kit, including i386, some atheros stuff and most of the broadcom chips.

What about using an old computer?  If you need wireless then it has to
have the bus to take a wireless NIC but if its wired then almost any
computer will do.

What is it you need your router to do?

Allow 3 computers access to the internet plus my Vonage device. One of them is a server and there should be a firewall to stop/deter hackers. Wireless would be a plus, but not strictly necessary. I do have an old PC that could be used, would I need two NIC to do this? Or could I just use one?

That depends on your network terminating device, if it's a USB, PCI, IR, serial, parallel or magic modem then no, if it's some sort of ethernet modem then yes, [0] but 100Mbps ethernet cards are so cheap now just buy another one, as long as you're internet connection doesn't exceed this speed, if it does I'm moving in and I'll bring a spare Gigabit network card with me.

[0] unless you start playing around with switches that support vlans

--
Garrr, do your bit for global warming, become a pirate, you can "borrow" my copy of Windows 95 if you want.