Re: Linux on a Router

On Jul 10, 2007, at 9:10 PM, ArcticFox wrote:

On Jul 10, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:06:53PM -0500, ArcticFox wrote:
I've been having a heck of a time trying to keep my internet connection active. It likes to drop on me for no apparent reason. I've managed to narrow the problem down to the router, but Linksys wants to charge me
~$30 to troubleshoot the router. Someone I know suggested that I try
Linux on the router and I was wondering if anyone out there knows/ has
experience/suggestions for doing something like this.

The router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 v.4 The only client system I have is
MacOS X 10.3.9

I think that OpenWRT can be made to load on many (most?) Linksys
routers. I would start there. However, I've not personally used it, so
I am not positive about whether it is the right thing for you.

Regards,

-Roberto

You gave me somewhere to start though, and for that I thank you.

OpenWRT being the more "open" of the options, is a good place to start, but might be a bit more "manual" than you want to set things up.

I personally like DD-WRT, which has a bit more effort put into it from the standpoint of the web interface, etc...

But they're both good options.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com