Linux on a Router

I've been having a heck of a time trying to keep my internet connection active. It likes to drop on me for no apparent reason. I've managed to narrow the problem down to the router, but Linksys wants to charge me ~$30 to troubleshoot the router. Someone I know suggested that I try Linux on the router and I was wondering if anyone out there knows/has experience/suggestions for doing something like this.

The router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 v.4 The only client system I have is MacOS X 10.3.9