Weird problems with laptop hibernate/boot/shutdown

Hello. Since yesterday, several weird events occured with my laptop
(Thinkpad T43), and I don't know if I should worry or not. Hope
someone else here can help.

First thing, yesterday I tried to shut down, but it didn't really
turned off. The only unusual thing I can remember is that I had the
power chord unplugged from the mains, but it was still plugged on the
back of the laptop. I took it off, and it shutdown.

Today morning I hibernated the laptop, but again, it didn't turn off,
but stuck with a message on tty, something like "turning off
consoles" or something. Sorry, I don't remember. Later I turned it on,
and it didn't came up normally. I got the impression that if I hit
some key, then it advanced a little, until everything was up, X,
gnome, etc.

When it was time to shut down, it was very, very slow. I could see
windows disappear, then the panel... I lost my patience and switched
to tty, and then I could see shutdown messages, one by one. I could
confirm here that everytime I hit the space bar, one more step
occured, until I reached the final disk sync, and the laptop turned
off.

I have the disk capacity almost fully occupied, but it has been so for a
while, and I had never seen this. Is it possible that some disk/memory
corruption is going on? That after the last upgrade (by the way, I'm
running sid), last weekend, something was not configured properly?
That some unnoticed power fluctuation damaged something physically? I
don't really know.

I haven't booted up again, and I won't be able to try again until
tonight, but hopefully someone can give me a hint.

Thanks for any help,

Victor