Re: RTF - proprietary or open?

Roberto C. Sánchez escreveu:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 11:10:57AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote in Article
>> <20070627025352.GE14985@santiago.connexer.com> posted to
>> gmane.linux.debian.user:
>>
>>> That depends on your definition of "available."  If the person receiving
>>> your document is on dialup and not in a position to download the 100+ MB
>>> OOo or is otherwise not sufficiently proficient to install software,
>>> then you are basically left with "default" windows tools, which are
>>> wordpad, and occasionally works or word.
>> True, but wouldn't not having any proper office suite, on dialup, running
>> Windows make about as much sense for business as switching to MacOS for the
>> games?  Is that a large enough edge case for anybody to bother worrying
>> about?
>>
> I wasn't thinking so much of the business users themselves, but rather
> their customers.  In any case, you bring up a good point.  Of course, I
> have also worked places where any "unapproved" software was strictly
> verbotten.  Getting software approved at one of these places would
> require a presidential executive order, act of congress, plantery
> alignment and a lunar eclipse all in the same day.  Even then the
> "security" folks might still not sign off.
>
> While I personally prefer OOo over MSO and try to encourage people to
> switch, it will be a long time yet before non-MS formats are considered
> "standard."
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

This mught be a first step towards standardization:

Sun ODF Plug in 1.0 for Microsoft Office Available Now as a Free Download

Microsoft Office users can now import and export to Open Document Format
(ODF).

The Sun ODF Plug in for Microsoft Office gives users of Microsoft Word,
Excel and Powerpoint the ability to read, edit and save to the
ISO-standard Open Document Format. The ODF Plug in is available as a
free download from the Sun Download Center (SDLC). Download the ODF Plug in.

The Plug in is easy to setup and use, the conversion happens
transparently and the additional memory footprint is minimal. Microsoft
Office users now can have seamless two-way conversion of Microsoft
Office documents to and from Open Document. The ODF Plug in runs on
Microsoft Windows and is available in English. More language support
will be available in later releases.

The plug-in allows Microsoft Office (for Windows) users to open ODF
files and save their work in ODF formats used by OpenOffice, StarOffice,
and other programs. According to the ReadMe, the plug-in adds "ODF Text
Document (*.odt)" as a format to Word's Open and Save dialogs and adds
Import and Export options to Excel and PowerPoint."

http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=8&PartDetailId=ODF-WIN-G-F&TransactionId=noreg

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal