Re: need good file explorer

On 07/08/07 13:29, Zach wrote:
I am looking for a Debian package which will provide nice
functionality equivalent to the MS Windows (file) Explorer (not
Internet Explorer!) which lets you quickly view all directories and
files on your filesystem in a tree structure and allows quickly
moving/renaming/deleting files using the mouse. I have not found
anything in comparable functionality and speed. I tried Konqueror but
it was massively bloated (installed lots of big KDE libs) and the
response time seems much worse than MS Windows file explorer program.
I need something lightweight and fast. Hope someone knows of any such
program(s). I run Debian testing but if something is not packaged I
can always compile and install in /usr/local.

$ apt-cache search file manager| grep -v ^lib | grep fm|sort
dfm - Desktop-File-Manager for X11
emelfm - file manager for X/gtk
lfm - a simple but powerful file manager for the UNIX console
pcmanfm - an extremely fast and lightweight file manager for X
pcmanfm-nohal - an extremely fast and lightweight file manager for X
vifm - a ncurses based file manager with vi like keybindings
xfm - X file and application manager

Regards,
Zach

--