Re: .bash_history deleted

Quoting Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de>:

I have seen this several times in the past, still having no idea how this happens. For a while I suspected bash_completion but I think I saw this also without bash_completion. Finally I am suspecting the filesystem journaling doing weird things, since it it mostly happened after crashes with JFS and XFS, but (almost? not sure) never with Ext3.

This is normal behaviour for journaled filesystems like XFS and JFS, because they only journal the metadata. However, this shouldn't delete the file, only fill it with garbage or zeros.

Cheers,