Re: OT: knoppix memtest powers off after 35 mins

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 04:56:27PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> OT for Debian, but you folks are knowledgeable ...
>
> Running memtest86 from a Knoppix LiveCD on an HP pavilion ze4400 laptop.
> No errors, but the laptop powers off consistently after about 35 minutes
> of testing.

Weird...

> The laptop does not power off when sitting at the Knoppix prompt (I
> enter some random character or two to prevent time-out default boot),
> nor does it power off after 35 minutes at the Windows (yech!) login
> prompt or within Knoppix when it's running from the LiveCD.
>
> I've not seen any odd behaviour when running Knoppix, and very limited
> oddness when running Windows (yet a couple of small things - easily
> attributable to Windows flakiness);

:-)  Difficult to tell sometimes :-)

> the guy who owns the laptop says it has frozen on him a few times and
>wouldn't power up once until left alone a couple of hours.

As if "it needed a rest"?

> After spending a couple of days with the laptop, my gut instinct is that
> the hardware is fine, but this consistent auto-poweroff 35 minutes into
> a memtest86 run (with default parameters) raises a yellow flag in my brain.
>
> Anyone have any knowledge if maybe memtest86 might be triggering a
> shut-down code, or if it's running into a bad memory cell?

Perhaps the poor thing is overheating?  Are the fans going during
memtest?

I presume that both Knoppix and Windows plays nice with ACPI and
(probably) fans, but I suspect that memtest86 couldn't care less...

Just a derailed brain...
--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/